Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." – Casablanca

Yesterday Rodi and I took a trip to pick up a couple of round hay bales.  What we didn't know is that we would be coming home with a new addition to the flock.  I was going to post a good picture this morning but it is raining outside. *sigh*  I promise to put one up this week.  Our newest feathered friend is Humphrey.  Yes another rooster.  What were we thinking?  We were thinking this kind old man selling us this hay loves his chickens, and is giving us a gift. We couldn't possibly tell the man we didn't need another rooster, it would have crushed him.  He walked us around showing us all of his birds, and he has a lot of them.  He told us about the mixes he was happy with and plans for new ones.  He also had some giant roosters.  Okay maybe not giant, but compared to Bogart they were huge.  I couldn't even imagine the nightmare that could lead to if I were to be chased around the yard by a rooster that size. I am pretty sure my broom would not even phase a rooster of that size.

Rodi thought we had an out when he asked me, in front of the gentleman, if I was going to hold Humphrey on my lap for the ride home.  Keep in mind this is a 30-45 min drive.  

I replied with a sigh and an "Oh?"

The man didn't even bat an eye.  He had us follow him into the barn, where he pulled out a square of tarp and HE ROLLED HUMPHREY UP!  I couldn't believe it.

"Here's looking at you, kid" – Casablanca

This was how he rode, all the way home.  I held him, and we chatted.  I had on my Chicken Mgr. sweatshirt so I told him who I was and that my title included roosters.  He is now well aware of all the rules he is expected to follow.  Once the tough talk was done we danced and sang a bit.  Well, we already looked odd to those pulling up next to us, why not put on a real show?

Lillie Bunny was not impressed with Humphrey's arrival.  She had to move out of her beloved tractor so Humphrey could move in.  Since Bogart wants nothing to do with Sophie (the last little bantam hen), we moved her into the tractor with Humphrey (also a bantam).  I am hoping it is the start of something beautiful.  


1 comments:

Beth said...

Haha so clever with the names :)

Post a Comment